Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Positivity Vortex

I often find myself thinking about how I could help affect the world. Some of the most amazing people in history had equally amazing talent in a certain area or field.

Leonardo da Vinci was a genius, whose love for invention and his multitude of talents led to inventions that wouldn't be truly understood until centuries after his death. Albert Einstein was also a genius physicist, who's ideas about the current theories of physics led him to create a new way of how we understand the universe, the atom and nearly everything in between. People like Emmeline Pankhurst, Ghandi, Desmond Tutu and so many others have seen injustice and dedicated their lives to repairing said injustice.

I could go on, but these are just a handful of examples of people who have used talent, ingenuity, passion and intelligence to literally change the world.

When I think about the intelligence, the creativity and passion these people had and how many in the world and future generations benefited from them, I am simply in awe.

So on days like this, I wonder how I can possibly do the same. I am certainly not a genius by any stretch of the imagination. I am not horrendously talented in any one area, though I do pride myself in that I have a LOT of experience with learning and trying new things. But am I a physicist, a world renowned painter or sculptor or idea maker? Yeah, definitely not.

So, how does one make a difference, even on a small scale?

I often feel like I am held back, because I'm "not smart enough", "not talented enough" or "not politically informed enough". I have spent so much of my life, trying to learn everything...to keep up with politics or try to watch and read everything that Carl Sagan had a hand in. But it was never enough. I would never know as much about trying to help a cause or write an inspiring novel that would change the world. But I couldn't find one thing that I was good at, or exclusively passionate about.

But I realized that while I loved so many causes and so many subjects, it wasn't being poorly educated or uninformed that was holding me back. It was me. I was creating a place where I was not good enough, not smart enough,. I was creating an absence of faith in what I, as one person could do. I was making myself not good enough. I had created what I will call a positivity vortex. Where, because of my self-consciousness and fear of failure or fear that others would think poorly of me I told myself that I was not good enough. It drew away any positive or forward motion into a pit of inspiration-wrecking doubt.



So how does someone fix that?

Just needed to fracking DO something!

I don't have one particular passion or cause. I don't have one craft or art that I love better than another. But I decided to do this Month of Awesome challenge for myself. I didn't expect to change the world, but maybe make a small difference in someone's day. In just deciding to try something, I really opened my heart, not just to others, though I think most people want to try and help other people. But it opened my heart to my ability to do something that puts a little joy in the world.

And in doing so, I feel like I am alive with ideas, potential...not doubt. And I want to tell everyone who might feel like they don't have a certain something that might make a difference. To destroy that positivity vortex and let your own joy, faith and happiness get back to you!

SO MAKE YOUR MARK!

I can't say this enough. Write a story just for fun, sing out loud, paint, blog about science, campaign for a cause. But DO IT!!

I know I am so thankful that I did! And please tell me how you are making the world an awesome place because it feels wonderful to have support and I would LOVE to support you!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. It pretty much sums up what I've been feeling and trying to live. I can't change the world, but maybe I can help someone else have a good day or change their mind, and then they will change someone else, etc etc.

    ReplyDelete