Friday, April 29, 2011

Charity

I am going to be a little verbose today. So I thank all of you for putting up with me in advance.

I am bi-polar.

I was diagnosed in 1997, despite the fact that I think I've been this way most of my life. That year was particularly stressful for me and I had a genuine, lock-yourself-in-a-dorm-room-for-several-days-crying-without-seeming-end, break down. I had a lot going on in that point in my life and I had been pushed past my personal coping point.

I didn't know what was going to happen to me and if I hadn't had a friend there at that time that had gone through similar things, I would have been in a lot of trouble.

Thankfully, I was shown a community of people all going through their own personal struggles with mental illness. And I was able to find (a few years along the way) several community resources and support groups available to help people coping with and supporting patients with Bi-polar disorder.

Joining Depression-Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA), a peer-led Bi-Polar and Depression support group opened up my eyes to all the resources there really were for people with a mental health diagnosis. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) was a national organization who's purpose is to provide education, support and services for family friends and patients with mental illness.

Personally, the scariest part of mental illness for me, is not knowing what my options are. Not knowing where I can go if I feel things have gone too far. Not knowing if there are places for me to go, people to talk to in an emergency, or if there are places that can help my loved ones learn about what can be done to help me. And this is exactly what NAMI provides. Not only the resources, but the support and peace of mind for patients and those who care about us.

I personally know so many people who have benefited from the services they provide and am happy to support them however I can.

This year, I will be leading a team for the NAMI Walk, 2011, on June 4th. And I am so happy to support this charity that I have personally benefited from.

While I'd love to support this walk 100% on my own, I need help. If any are able, I would be thrilled for you to support me in supporting this amazing charity.

Thank you for your love, support and wishes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment