Tuesday, March 30, 2010

JoAnn's Sensations Thick n' Thin Yarn





So today I am reviewing using JoAnn's Sensations Thick n' Think Yarn.

I was given several skeins of this in lavender/blue, but had never worked with inconsistent yarn. So I am crocheting a very simple pattren with it since I was not sure how the yarn would work.

I have found that the yarn is really soft and has a great color palette. But the skeins are really tiny at 50 grams each (max of around 45 yards) and seems not to go very far.
Unless you are really skilled at varied weight and gauge yarn, I recommend using a loose stitch and a large hook at first.

Also, with the large variation, it is really hard to make out individual stitches, so if you are working with this product or one like it. So I'd definitely suggest using a loose pattern if you are a beginner.

Also, this yarn can tend to tangle if you tend to stitch too tight and need to pull out stitches. So remember, loose stitches, simple/open patterns, and a large hook for beginners!


(These pictures show the thin and thick parts against the same hook)
















Now onto the pattern. (warning, I'm not great with writing patterns, but here goes)

The pattern is as follows:

Row 1 - ch 335, turn
Row 2 - dc in 4th ch from hook, *ch 2, dc in 3rd ch, repeat from * until last dc, ch 2 turn
Row 3 - dc in the first dc from hook.* ch 2, dc in next dc, repeat from * until last dc, ch 2 turn
Row 4-? - Repeat pattern until length desired.

(I used a J hook, but use whatever hook you feel comfortable working this yarn with)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad it's being put to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't knitted a damn thing with the cotton candy heaps of it that I have. But I will!

    ReplyDelete