Monday, April 16, 2012

Streamlining Tags/Labels

So after my huge debacle with editing tags on my blog this past week, I thought I would try to share some of the wisdom I gained in the process. Some of this is general to the process of simplifying a blog and streamlining how to navigate it, and some of these are specific to Blogger.

1) Think of your target audience and label accordingly.

If I could speak of picking a target audience for a moment, I'd recommend taking a look at what I post and to whom I intend to write towards. Obviously, I'm mostly a craft-art-diy blog. And so my target audience is a bit wide. That said, clarifying my tags for ease of understanding of the people I ideally want to reach, is a step towards better marketing to my target audience.


2) Select major themes under which more specific items could nest.

Example: I had watercolor, painting practice, painting, watercolor samples, watercolor classes and the list goes on. Now, I chose to pare them all down into "painting". This makes it far simpler to find anything I've done related to painting and allows me to consolidate them for future types of painting mediums. So instead of six labels, I've now got one larger umbrella label that is not longer lost in a sea of similar topics.

3) Rename some labels to be more concise.

Instead of a tag called "Joe", I changed it to marriage, necklace or watch to jewelrymaking, home made cleaning products and natural remedies to homemaking and so on and so forth. This also allows for people to get a better idea of what are the major topics of interest. So tags like "sculpey" do elicit thoughts polymer clay, really it is more specific than I needed for the job and "sculpting" was far more clear.

4) Stick with one or two simple tags instead of many

Choosing a few general tags makes it much easier to search for than dozens of specific tags, Few people search for that one specific daily project you've made, Instead, many go searching browsers for "crochet'' or "sewing tutorials". You will reach more prospective readers with simple tap.


So, if you are interested marketing to get your blog moretraffie, try this simple tick to clarify your tags.

Future articles, hitting search engines and joining circles.

No comments:

Post a Comment