Tuesday, November 18, 2014

What a Year!

So much has happened to us in the last year. We had our lovely Bean four months prematurely. For the first 92 days, she was in the NICU and on various levels of oxygen therapy. When she came home, we had appointments several times a week and were just pooped.

Finally, things started to find a rhythm and we fell gloriously into a routine with our amazing and healthy bean!

Most of our lives were put on hold until we really got the hang of this parenting thing. We've googled almost every possible home remedy for croup, diaper rash, baby formula. We have been making a great effort to keep her as close to cloth diapered, on Weston A. Price's formula, and have gotten really into babywearing.

We're finally getting back into our lives plus our new parental roles. and I'm eager to share some of the more natural recipes and fixes as possible.

First up, home made dry shampoo.

I know sometimes, the second day mom hair can look downright frightening! So I bought a bottle of dry shampoo. It was somewhere around $10 US and I wasn't sure I'd like it. While it did the job, it also had the effect of spraying my dark hair with a mist of white powder. So I began researching methods of making my own that would work better for dark hair.

I found a recipe for dark hair on the Mommypotamous Blog and tried it out.


  • 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or non-GMO cornstarch
  • 2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 3-5 drops of essential oils (optional – lemon, peppermint, rosemary, bergamot, lemongrass and lime are good options)

  • I grabbed an old poofy blush brush and set to dusting my hair at the roots. It worked AMAZINGLY! Not only do I like the simple, toxin-free, non-spray method, the cocoa powder helped keep the powdered wig look to a minimum!

    Here is the recipe for light colored hair


  • ¼ cup of arrowroot powder or non-GMO cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder (You may or may not need this depending on the color of your hair. If it is very light or white you might want to skip it)
  • 3-5 drops of essential oils (optional – lemon, peppermint, rosemary, bergamot, lemongrass and lime are good options)

  • Tip: Start sparingly. If you over do it, it will dry the hair out and will have a dusty look to the hair.

    Pictures will be incoming, please let me know if you'd like to see more recipes.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment